Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Dragon: #1 vs. Jay: #0

G$ and I headed north Saturday after work to Salem, Va. After some pre-ride beers and final four action, the Dragon was to be slayed on Sunday am . We awoke to a beautiful spring morning w/ a slight chill in the air. The chill would be long gone by the 10 o'clock start. Our bellies full of Starbucks and the free continental breakfast we were off to the race staging area 20 minutes away. The drive was awesome through the Catawba valley with towering ridge lines all around. We knew it was going to be a FUN day...

We began with a short, 5 mile, motor paced start where G$ and I found ourselves in front of the 50+ competitors all out to slay the Dragon. This was some good PR for our sponsors. Once we turned onto the 1st gravel road I settled in to my pace while G$ took off to stay up front where the true studs live. We knew there were creek crossings but not 6 of them and not mid-thigh deep!!! What better way to start 40 miles, than get your feet and shorts wet in the first 12 miles. I sure was glad it would eventually be 70+ degrees.

I hit the 1st true test of the day: the Grouse trail, a 2 mile, 1500ft climb to the ridge. The 1st time up would be challenging but also making mental mile markers as I would repeat this trail in about 1 1 /2 hours. The Grouse was painful. I rode some of it, walked some of it, and even had to scramble up some. I did notice in sections it was just wide enough for me to walk, let alone push my bike. I wonder if the descent we're going down is like this????

I hit the ridge for the first time, hung a right, and proceeded to walk/ride the ridge top. 3 miles later I would encounter our 1st descent of the day. Hang a right on the Deer trail for 1 1/2 miles of downhill action!!! This trail wouldn't be very technical, but proved to be every bit as difficult as any dh trail I've been on. It was narrower than the Grouse trail I just went up and way FAST! At the bottom we crossed a road and on to "the Ring of Fire" a fun, narrow, and twisty single track that ended @ the 1st rest stop.
I refueled a bit, got some h2o, and took off down the gravel road. I was headed back to the Grouse trail for round #2. I wasn't fired up or feeling well @ this point in the ride. I got to the singletrack and just didn't feel it. However, against better judgement or common sense I headed up toward the ridge. It seemed like it took a week to get there but I made it and headed left or north toward rest stop #2. I knew from #1 to #2 it was 15 miles; Once on the ridge it would be 10 miles. This would be way more technical, more rocky, and more up and down than Walden ridge. I walked and pushed some along the ridge. By this point my body was not cooperating in my attempt to complete the 40 miles. My legs were cramping, my calves began to hurt from walking, and my stomach didn't want any more food or water. For those who really know, I don't like to eat or drink on rides no matter how long they are. I was doing all I could to ensure a good day on the bike despite my recent riding deficit.

I pushed on and found my self getting some very short lived spurts of energy and no cramps. I would ride more than walk, especially the short downs of the ridge top. It was so narrow in one spot I got my bars stuck between 2 trees. I had consumed 100 oz. H2O in the 1st 20 miles and had just run out of my 2nd 100 oz in 1/3 the distance...I was in trouble!!! I finally reached the EMT dude on top of the ridge. He asked if I was ok? I said in not some many words, NO!!! He gave me a few sips of his H2O and I sat down for a break which ended up being a 15 minute, flat on my back in leaves trying to take a nap! I got up and asked how to get off this ridge? He said I had to go 5 more miles to rest stop #2. I said NO and asked where that trail went? Pointing @ some singletrack going down and named the Turkey trail. I had heard rumor of this trail and how kick ass it was. The EMT informed me I had to go to #2 if I was going to DNF. I told him NO, in nice way, and informed him I would be going down the Turkey trail and call whomever he needed to tell 'em I DNFed!!!
I descended the 2 miles or so of Turkey trail, which was the BEST downhill of the day and totally kicked ass! I hit the gravel road from 5 hours ago and met a family out on a ride. They asked if I was racing? Which I replyed I had just quit. They also mentioned I didn't look very good and offered a shuttle back to the start/finish. I quickly took them up on their offer.

Once back G$ was already there, DUH??? He kicked ass doing all 40 miles in 5:16 for 13th overall and 1st on a SS. I knew he was strong but DAMN!!! Jeff Schalk former Trek/VW stud, hey I won Cohutta 100 last year, did it in 4:06!!!! I knew I had hurt myself today when G$ offered me beer and I said, "NO". I ate a little, we loaded up, and headed back to K-town. All in all, I did ride 30 or so miles, w/ 2 kick ass descents, and I had some FUN in a sick twisted way...the rest of you mtn bikers will understand!!!!

FUN????

That's what I said. It was the last thing I was having on Sunday!!! This was by far the MOST DIFFICULT trail, race, ride, or whatever it was I've ever done. Now, I'm not racer boy superstar or anything but I have ridden many really tough trails. This was simply soul crushing! It was however, probably some of the BEST trails I have ever put tires on.


G$ and I looked @ this numerous times but forgot to read the bottom of the elev. porfile where it mentions 8110' climbing over 40 miles...

No comments: