Tuesday, March 31, 2009

We're getting there...

The construction project is pluggin' along at a snail's pace. I find it difficult to work @ the shop all day and come home to do more than ride my BLUE couch or mow the yard! Sunday was a BIG day! I hooked up the 22o dryer plug w/o burning our house down! I also finished connecting the 2 hot/cold supply lines that feed H2O into the laundry room. This was the adventurous part of the day....

If you're not into caving/spelunking, this isn't the job for you! Plumbing is simply not my cup of tea. To say the least I won't be quiting my day job to take up a new career! However, the invention of Pex pipe and the shark bites connections make it soooo easy a CAVEMAN could do it! As long as you cut the connection end of the pex perfectly square. They even make a handy tool for disassembly that only cost $1.50!!!

Monday, was the day to finish up the framing, hang some drywall, and get a door. After demo of the back wall was done. It was time for insulation and new drywall. The insulation was simple, stuff it in between the studs and staple into place. The drywall would give me fits on this day. That crap is heavy and I wouldn't advise hanging it by yourself! I got 2 of the 6 sheets hung and it was time to move on to framing the 2x4 wall.

The wall went together seamlessly! Getting the proper measurements for the rough opening of the door was the real fun part. They recommend 2" + whatever the door size is. I wanted a 36" door= ease of moving washer/dryer in/out of laundry room in future! It was of to Home Depot to buy a door. I got a SMOKIN' deal! I wanted an insulated door b/c we won't have heat in the room. They only sold insulated doors w/ drilling for a door knob and dead bolt. Who needs a dead bolt in a laundry room? So I found an all oak wood door, unfinished, pre-hung, and single drilled hole. Oh and did I mention it was a LH swing. All for $90!!! I'm thrifty...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Once the door was home, I measured it, roughed the opening 1/2" smaller than I had planned, and put that baby in. The opening was all square but it's funny how out of square the door was. Good thing I went ahead w/ the purchase of a pack o' shims. Installing the door wasn't rocket science. It went way better than I'd expected. It opens and closes w/ ease and stays put where you stop it. There's also a nice even crack all the way around between the door and the jam when closed! Watch out I'm gettin' dangerously good @ this; Maybe I will quit my day job...

Photobucket

Tuesday, proved to be another adventurous day...it was back into caving mode to hook-up the washing machine drain. Crawl under house, dry fit 4 90*'s, 40' of 1 1/2" pvc, hold it in place to get the proper fall, and tie it into the existing sewer; Simple, right? I was under the house for over 2 hours dry fitting and cutting. Once I began gluing it all together it went pretty quickly, I think...I may have passed out a few times from the pvc glue/primer high!

No comments: