Tuesday, March 17, 2009

CONSTRUCTION....

For those of you who know...I didn't stay @ the Holiday Inn last night?!?

I just think I know what the hell I'm doing here! A little history to shed some light on our current situation I've gotten us into....I HATE HOME IMPROVEMENT PROJECTS!!!

Over a year ago, I talked Jen into me attempting to tile our kitchen floor. It took countless hours, some really BIG tools (not me or Brett), and countless BEERS to demolition and remove the numerous layers of old flooring. There were many head-scratchers along the way: the numerous layers of old floor, whether to take out the cabinets or not, and finally, the sub-floor in the pantry was rotten b/c the washer hook-ups had been leaking for who knows how long? All damage repaired, tile floor in, and life back to normal, right???? WHOA Mule!!!! I made the executive decision NOT to put the washer and dryer back in the kitchen pantry. They didn't fit anyway b/c, you know who, didn't measure before we bought 'em to make sure they fit. So we've been going to the redneck laundr-o-mat for a while, now that we have $2000 of laundry equipment rendered useless just sitting in the garage.

We decided it would be easy to build an 8'x8' laundry/mud room inside our existing garage. Simple right? B.Hann drew me some plans in 2.4 minutes on a 2x2 post-it note. I'm GOLDEN, Baby! This was 2 weeks ago and after several bids of $85/sq. ft. x 65 sq. ft. = Jen and Jay can't afford it!!! I decided, it's not "Rocket Science", I'd build the laundry room myself.

We began this past Sunday w/ phase #1: Demolition. We had a small room in the back 1/4 of the garage that had to be removed before we could build anything. It was 2x4s and Sheetrock...nothing too difficult to tear out, unless you don't have the right tools! It's like trying to build a bike w/ a straight screwdriver and an adjustable wrench?
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
As you can see, most of the wall/room is gone and we're on to phase #2:Sub-floor construction. This process required way too much thought. Measure once, cut 5-6x??? Get the board level??? Make it square, what? How do you do that?
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

As you can see, I've made ok progress. I still have all my fingers and toes. We're @ stopping point b/c it's now time to figure out the whole electrical & plumbing thing and where it all needs to go. We may have some professioanl help on the way:

I LOVE this sport! It's the only other thing besides mountain biking I can drink BEER while participating!

Maybe by the weekend we'll have moved on to phase #3: Walls????

No comments: